Filming In New York
Film Insurance Requirements in the State of
In order for you or your organization to be eligible for a filming permit, Liability Insurance is required. A CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE must be provided to the Office of Film, Theatre, and Broadcasting 48 hours in advance of your online permit application submission. (When submitting your online permit application, be sure the Company Name matches exactly the name of Insured on your insurance certificate.) The CERTIFICATE must include:
1. The name and address of the insured person or production company.
2. The Certificate Holder must read as follows:
The City of New York
Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting
1697 Broadway, Suite 602
New York, NY 10019
3. The Description of Operations on the certificate must read as follows: "The City of New York, including its officials and employees, is additional insured."
4. That the policy provides at least One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) [usually listed as 1,000 thousands] in US currency or its equivalent of Comprehensive General Liability for each instance of claim.
5. The name of the insurance company and of the broker, with the broker's signature and phone number.
6. The policy number.
7. The dates for which the policy is in effect, including both the start and expiration dates.
8. That the policy may not be modified or canceled without seven days prior written notification to the Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting.
PDFs of Insurance certificates are accepted via email to email@example.com ONLY if sent directly by the insurance broker. They are not able to accept insurance certificates submitted by production companies or individuals.
Student Films: Students must obtain a letter from their school, on the school's letterhead, stating the student's name, their status as a student (i.e. full-time, in good standing) the date(s) of the shoot and the signature of the appropriate representative from the school. For students whose schools are located outside of New York City, please check with the New York State Governor's Office for Motion Picture & TV Development office to see if your school's insurance is on file with them.
Disclaimer: The encapsulated production information on this page is provided for general purposes only and should not be construed as advice. While we do our utmost to keep all information up to date, production requirements change often. The best source for details is the film office itself.